I hope you are all well and you all had a lovely Christmas break.
As we are fast approaching the end of 2023, our special year, I thought it would be appropriate to round it off with a summary of what we all achieved.
Total items of kit donated at start of 2023 – 933,897
Total items of kit donated at end of 2023 – 1,027,448
Total items of kit donated in 2023 – 93,551
In the January monthly update I set out four targets that I hoped KitAid could achieve by the end of December, as follows:-
- To reach One Million items of donated kit during the 25th Anniversary year.
- To celebrate our 25th Anniversary year with a party event.
- For KitAid to win an award in recognition of everyone’s efforts.
- To agree on a sustainable operating model beyond our 25th year.
Well we can certainly tick the boxes for the items 1 to 3 and number 4 still needs more discussion before coming to an agreement.
I think we can congratulate ourselves on meeting the first 3 targets and remember, we are just a small volunteer run charity operating on goodwill with a very small income.
Highlights of 2023
I have made a quick list and would be interested to hear from you if you have any others.
- Design of a special 25th Anniversary logo
- Production of a 25th Anniversary calendar
- 25th Anniversary badge and polo shirts.
- 25th Anniversary coin (for celebration evening attendees)
- 25th Anniversary 20 page brochure.
- Attendance as an invited charity to the Liverpool FC Foundation Legends match at Anfield with a half time pitch side presentation of a special “25” shirt.
- KitAid Supporters Cup presentation to Leverstock Green FC.
- “25 for 25” Fundraising Challenge. Congratulations to Antonia, Karen, Peter, Matt, Barrie and Ben who between them raised £2,500 from their various Challenges.
- 25th Anniversary Celebration evening at Watford FC. A memorable evening for 130 KitAid supporters from all over the UK which raised £4,000.
- Gareth Southgate recognising our One Million milestone with the presentation of a special 1 Million England shirt.
- Kit collection at Cambridge United FC.
- Presentation of a Special Recognition Award by Hertfordshire FA.
- Recognition by The FA in the Royal Box at Wembley prior to the England v Malta match.
- A thank you from Sir Mo Farah for our support of projects in Somalia and Somaliland.
- Self funded visits to our charity partners Ballysillan YFC in Belfast and to Diamonds in the Community in Airdrie.
- KitAid sponsorship of the Belfast Football Camp, the FOMO Malawi Football/Netball Bonanza and the Bulindi Chimpanzee Protection Tournament amounting to £2,500 in total.
Looking ahead to 2024
- First boxing up session with attendance from a very special guest. (27 Jan, Hatfield)
- Attendance at the International Sports Convention event in London as their chosen charity partner. (20/21 March)
- Kit collection at FC United of Manchester (13 April).
In addition to all of the above, we also finally changed our bank provider and have entered into the 21st Century with e-banking. This has probably been the most trying activity of all!! Thanks to Mark and Sean for their support.
All that remains is to say a massive thank you to everyone reading this update for your support of KitAid and to wish you a very happy, healthy and fulfilling 2024.
To finish on, my favourite quotes received following kit donations.
“Hear it from me. I am in Norton, Zimbabwe. Keep up the good work. You are not serving soccer. You are saving it.”
Norton Times Magazine, Zimbabwe.
“You are not only giving kits, you are giving hope, making a difference and motivating the next generation. We love and cherish what you do.”
Anthiny Iwere, Gravity Solutions Charity.